Friday, August 10, 2007

Perhaps Not This Week

This blog doesn't normally talk about fictional television shows. I spoke about the cancelled CBS series Jericho a few months back.

Nevertheless, I'm a big fan of cable dramas and comedies, and am of the opinion that some of the finest acting on television appears on FX Network shows like Rescue Me, The Shield, Nip/Tuck, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Riches, and Damages.

Members of the Young family are also big fans of USA Network original series like The 4400, The Dead Zone, Psych, Burn Notice, and Monk.

The more that I think about it, though, the more I think that I won't let my boys watch this week's advertised episode of Monk. Tony Shalhoub is, of course, brilliant as a detective suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Nevertheless, there's just something a little weird and wrong about a show in which a middle-aged man is going to be charged with talking about sex to the teen-aged daughter of his assistant, who is not a family member.

2 comments:

Riley said...

You're spot on about Dead Zone, The 4400, Monk and Psych. They're some of the best TV shows out there. Throw in SciFi's Doctor Who as well into that category. I actually dread the new fall season when it comes around and these shows go into hibernation until January.

James Young said...

I've never been able to warm up to Doctor Who, though I confess that I haven't TRIED to watch it since watching old re-runs on the PBS station in Northeastern Pennsylvania a LOOOOONG time ago.